Baseball Operations: Baseball - Hitting Coach
Summer League Head Coach - Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy (Washington, DC)
Reporting to the Manager, Baseball and Softball Operations, Summer Coaches will receive first-class training and support to help them become even more effective at using baseball as a vehicle to develop young people. Summer Coaches commit to supporting the Academy’s mission to foster positive character, academic enrichment and improved health and to using “Advancing Youth Development” practices to provide Scholar-Athletes with a positive and safe learning environment.
The summer league season, and the commitment from the Summer League Coach, will run from June 20th through August 5th, during which time the Summer League Coach will also participate in all mandated training activities. Baseball activities will take place at the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy in Southeast, DC.
This opportunity also includes working hands-on with an “apprentice coach,” leading occasional one-one-one coaching sessions for the apprentice as well as ongoing support —designed to continually develop less experienced assistant coaches as baseball instructors, youth development specialists, and community leaders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading a team of 13-15 players in a 10u or 12u division
- Implementing tailored baseball instruction to young Scholar-Athletes
- Helping Scholar-Athletes develop baseball skills learned on the diamond into life lessons that can help them succeed off the ballfield
- Lead a welcome & introduction meeting with players and parents to review coaching philosophy, how parents can support in building a team culture, policy on playing time, missing practice, goals and hopes for the season, etc.
- Leading one-on-one mentoring sessions with Assistant Coaches
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- High school diploma. College degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in coaching youth sports.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant youth development and baseball coaching experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to be prepared and organized for every event day
- Knowledge of baseball/softball rules
- Commitment to achieving the articulated objectives of the Academy for scholar-athletes, staff, and the community at-large
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills
- Embody the qualities of a strong role model for the Academy’s scholar-athletes
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Field: The Summer League Head Coach will be subject to inside and outside environmental conditions and will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. Job requires the Head Coach to function in a high activity sports venue. While performing the duties of this job, the Head Coach is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, run, jump, and climb up/down stairs.