Administration/General Management: Administrative/Executive Assistant
YBA - Volunteer Coordinator - Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy (Washington, DC)
The Academy Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for managing volunteer recruitment orientation, and enrollment process, as well as supporting Academy programs, staff, and activities as it relates to volunteers and mentors. The Academy Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for volunteer placement, managing documentation, and volunteer placement. This is a paid, part-time position.
The Academy Volunteer Coordinator is expected to be at the Academy for afterschool programming during the hours of 2:00pm and 8:00pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays during programming, and from 11:00am-5:00pm on non-programming days. The Academy Volunteer Coordinator will also be expected to attend mandatory training and professional development programs provided by the Academy.
The Volunteer Coordinator is expected to be at the Academy for summer programming during the hours of 7:30am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday and will attend all summer academy field-trips. The Coordinator will also be expected to attend mandatory training and professional development programs provided by the Academy.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interviews, orients, trains, and monitors volunteers. Stays in contact with assigned volunteers to maintain enthusiasm, fulfillment, and retention with a heavy emphasis on follow-up communication.
- Assist the Manager of Curriculum and Instruction with the overall maintenance and operation of the volunteering program.
- Communicate with and orient potential/new mentors and volunteers throughout the year across academic and athletic programs.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the Academy’s strategic plan and goals in order to identify new opportunities for volunteer collaboration.
- Oversee the setup and teardown of mentoring time during programming including taking attendance and preparing/distributing materials for programming time.
- Reaching out to mentors and volunteers regularly regarding updates and additional volunteer opportunities.
- Participate in mentor and volunteer recruitment events.
- Plan and execute activities and events for mentor and volunteer appreciation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent military experience
- Minimum of 1 year relevant youth development experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Ability to be prepared and organized for every program day
- Ability to communicate with potential volunteers and present on aspects of the Academy as it relates to volunteering.
- Ability to keep track of documents and communication logs.
- Advanced knowledge of volunteer recruitment and management strategies.
- Demonstrated experience and emotional commitment to working with youth and families in a low-income, urban community
- Commitment to achieving the articulated objectives of the Academy for scholar-athletes, staff, and the community at-large
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Field: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a volunteer coordinator encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The Summer Academy Enrichment Coordinator will be subject to inside and outside environmental conditions and will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. Job requires the Volunteer Coordinator to function in a high activity sports venue. While performing the duties of this job, the Academy Volunteer Coordinator is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, run, jump, and climb up/down stairs.